Convergence Services Inc. (CSI), in collaboration with Vinnie Curren at Breakthrough Public Media Consulting, Inc. (BPMC), is working closely with the executive team at Kentucky Educational Television (KET) to provide a thorough due diligence and comprehensive review of its options regarding the 2016 FCC Spectrum Incentive Auction.
CSI and BPMC are examining many issues that may influence the (confidential) decision that the KET board – the Kentucky Authority for Educational Television – make regarding auction participation and the future services KET may provide. These issues include, but are not limited to:
- The rise in over-the-air (OTA) viewership and the symbiotic relationship that OTA has with over-the-top (OTT) viewership – watching via an online streaming service.
- The contour signal map for all of KET’s stations – important for repacking purposes and potential channel sharing options.
- Channel sharing options.
- Relinquishment options.
- Potential disenfranchisement of Kentucky residents.
- New and next-generation broadcasting technologies, and how these can and will affect KET and the state of Kentucky in the future.
- Advanced emergency alerting and the role that KET could play in the future of these alerts.
- New business and revenue models for KET.